Thursday, March 09, 2006




ARROGANT NAGIN IGNORES COURT

The Second Amendment Foundation and the National Rifle Association filed a motion on Wednesday to have New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin and Police Superintendent Warren Riley held in contempt of court. The city leaders have refused to comply with a federal injunction to stop illegal gun confiscations and return all seized firearms to their rightful owners. The Second Amendment Foundation and the NRA sued the city in federal court in September, following reports of gun confiscations from law-abiding citizens in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. Second Amendment Foundation founder Alan Gottlieb said the contempt-of-court motion was filed only after attorneys exhausted all attempts to get the defendants to cooperate voluntarily.

Nagin and Riley essentially have ignored the federal court order, Gottlieb said. "If Ray Nagin and Warren Riley think this lawsuit, and the court order, will just go away by pretending they don't exist, they are sadly mistaken," Gottlieb said. "Authorities in nearby Tammany Parish complied with the injunction immediately, and have agreed to the permanent restraining order. Counsel for New Orleans signed a consent order last Sept. 23, so they know this case is on the table."

New Orleans officials deny that any guns were seized, but that's just not true, Gottlieb said. "Our attorneys have provided the New Orleans attorney with evidence of the confiscations, including witness statements, and that information has been ignored. Authorities in New Orleans have made no attempt to comply with the consent order and return the firearms seized by police. "Mayor Nagin seems to be suffering from the same denial that possessed him before the hurricane hit, and in the days afterward, when he blamed everyone else on the map for his failure of leadership," Gottlieb said. "We want Nagin and Chief Riley to appear in open court and testify under oath why they should not be held in contempt. They have been given every opportunity to comply with the court order and they have done nothing. They are not above the law."

Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment," said Chris W. Cox, the NRA 's chief lobbyist. "During a federally declared emergency, he abused his power and abandoned the very people he was sworn to protect. He took away the victims' freedom and their basic means of self-defense during an ill-fated and perilous time." As Cybercast News Service previously reported, images of law enforcement officers confiscating legally-possessed firearms from New Orleans residents were played on video screens at a recent gathering of conservative activists. Addressing attendees of the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington in mid-February, National Rifle Association Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre urged the audience to "Remember New Orleans!" "New Orleans was the first place in American history to disarm peaceable citizens, house-by-house, at gunpoint," LaPierre said. "And I promise you this standing here today: We at the NRA are going to make sure it's the last place it ever happens."

Source






WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN YOU BUY A TASER

So, there I sat in a pair of shorts and a tank top with my reading glasses perched delicately on the bridge of my nose, directions in one hand, taser in another. The directions said that a one-second burst would shock and disorient your assailant; a two-second burst was supposed to cause muscle spasms and a major loss of bodily control; a three-second burst would purportedly make your assailant flop on the ground like a fish out of water. Any burst longer than three seconds would be wasting the batteries. All the while I�m looking at this little device measuring about 5? long, less than 3/4 inch in circumference; pretty cute really and loaded with two itsy, bitsy triple-a batteries, thinking to myself, �no possible way!� What happened next is almost beyond description, but I�ll do my best�..

I�m sitting there alone, Tabby looking on with her head cocked to one side as to say, �don�t do it master,� reasoning that a one-second burst from such a tiny little ole thing couldn�t hurt all that bad.. I decided to give myself a one-second burst just for the heck of it. I touched the prongs to my naked thigh, pushed the button, and HOLY MOTHER, WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION@!@$@$%!@ *!!!I�m pretty sure Jessie Ventura ran in through the side door, picked me up in the recliner, then body slammed us both on the carpet, over and over and over again. I vaguely recall waking up on my side in the fetal position, with tears in my eyes, body soaking wet, both nipples on fire, testicles nowhere to be found, with my left arm tucked under my body in the oddest position, and tingling in my legs. The cat was standing over me making meowing sounds I had never heard before, licking my face, undoubtedly thinking to herself, �do it again, do it again!�

Note: If you ever feel compelled to �mug� yourself with a taser, one note of caution: there is no such thing as a one-second burst when you zap yourself. You will not let go of that thing until it is dislodged from your hand by a violent thrashing about on the floor. A three second burst would be considered conservative. SON-OF-A-.. that hurt like he**!!! A minute or so later (I can�t be sure, as time was a relative thing at that point), collected my wits (what little I had left), sat up and surveyed the landscape. My bent reading glasses were on the mantel of the fireplace. How did they up get there??? My triceps, right thigh and both nipples were still twitching. My face felt like it had been shot up with Novocain, and my bottom lip weighed 88 lbs. I�m still looking for my testicles? I�m offering a significant reward for their safe return.

More here

No comments: