Wednesday, January 30, 2008



Georgia: Homeowner shoots burglar in leg: "The Thurman family says after two people stole from them they got a security system and a gun. Now, they say, they've both come in handy. "As soon as [the motion sensor] went off, we were able to look out the window and see that he had opened the door to the truck," said Michael Thurman. He says he thought it was a burglar. So he grabbed his gun, ran downstairs and went outside. "When I saw him right here I said hey what are you doing?" Thurman said. An incident report shows the [black] suspect, Jeffery Whitt, started to run to a dark part of the yard. Thurman says he couldn't see him and was afraid he might be going to get a gun. "Anything could've been in [the] area, so I did what I thought I needed to protect myself and my family. I fired a few shots," One of those shots into the dark hit the suspect in the leg. Whitt kept running down the street and ended up at Macedonia Baptist Church. Deputies arrested him and took him to MCG. Thurman says his GPS system was missing and deputies found one between his house and the church."


Texas mother fights back: "A North Side mother fought off an armed intruder inside her apartment early Tuesday morning. "I was telling him, 'Please do not kill me in front of my baby,' " said the 24-year-old victim, who does not want to be identified. According to police, a masked man broke in through a downstairs window in an apartment complex in the 8000 block of Bentley. Then, he made his way through the victim's home. "I thought I heard somebody trying to open up my door," the victim said. "I jumped up, looked in my hallway, and I didn't see anybody." A short time later, the armed intruder started kicking in the woman's bedroom door. The woman tried to knock out her bedroom window to scream for help and call 9-1-1 at the same time. But the man made it into the room with her and her 2-year-old son. "I was crying just telling him not to kill me, that I would do anything he wanted me to do," the woman recounts. The mother says she hit him with a lamp, bit his hand, and even tried to shoot him with his own gun, but the weapon would not go off. The suspect ran out the room, giving her a chance to call the police after she barricaded herself in with a dresser. The woman describes her assailant as an African-American male"


Bigotry towards gun-owners: "A Bristol Virginia man sparked a statewide political reaction after he said he heard the state Senate’s majority leader insult rural gun owners while standing in a public elevator. "He turns to his companion and says, ‘You can tell we’re debating a gun bill today. Half the cast of "Deliverance" is in town,’ " said John Pierce, a local gun-rights activist who was in Richmond to lobby the General Assembly against a bill to close the so-called gun-show loophole. "I was absolutely floored. ... I think what you’re seeing is bigotry aimed at rural voters and the issues that they tend to support," Pierce said. "Deliverance" is a 1972 film based on the novel by James Dickey in which Atlanta businessmen encountered a backwoods Appalachian culture on a canoe trip in the north Georgia mountains, where rape and murder ensue."

No comments: