Saturday, March 20, 2010



TX: Bait camp owner not charged in fatal shooting: "A grand jury declined to indict a bait camp owner who fatally shot a patron banned from the business. Robert Stanley Ott, 52, was no-billed in the Oct. 22 killing of Michael Wayne Hansen, 55, who was found dead in his pickup in the driveway of Ott’s Santa Fe home, Galveston County Criminal District Attorney Kurt Sistrunk said in a Friday statement. Ott owns Hall’s Bayou Bait Camp, from which Hansen was barred, Ott said. “After threatening to kill me there, he came to my home property and pulled a gun,” Ott said. “I don’t know what made him feel he was welcome at my home property, especially with a gun, if he wasn’t welcome out there.” Santa Fe police said Hansen displayed a gun in a threatening manner toward Ott. Police found Hansen dead with a gun in his hand, authorities said. “I’m a hunter, I’m a 30-year member of the National Rifle Association, and I strongly believe in a person’s right to the Second Amendment,” Ott said."


Pa.: Off-duty cop shoots robbery suspect in college parking lot: "Sirens illuminated campus in the wee hours of the morning Friday, as the Borgia Hall parking lot became a crime scene. A man who held up the 7-11 on City Avenue was gunned down by an off-duty highway patrol officer at approximately 3 a.m. Witnesses say the off-duty officer was pulling into the store on the 5300 block of City Avenue as a clerk informed him that the store had just been robbed. The officer chased the suspect, a 37-year-old man identified as Kenneth DeShields of Philadelphia, across City Avenue, eventually shooting him twice in the chest. The man was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, where he was pronounced dead. Witnesses say they heard five or six shots. According to an unofficial report, the off-duty officer was also wounded, though 6ABC and CBS3 reported no other injuries. Calls to the Lower Merion Police Department were not returned."


Law introduced in Ohio to allow guns in restaurants: "The next time you go to a bar or restaurant, you may be sitting next to someone with a gun, if two Ohio senators, Tim Schaffer and Shannon Jones, have their way. They want to change the state's concealed carry law to make that perfectly legal. "People have the right to self defense and our constitution says so," said Chad Baus of the Buckeye Firearms Assoc. "Our constitution doesn't draw a line and say: 'But not here.'" That's why Senate Bill 239 is before the State Senate. It would allow licensed gun holders to carry their weapon inside facilities with a Class D Liquor License, such as restaurants and bars.... Another part of the bill would allow licensed gun holders to carry their weapon anywhere in their car. "Every other state simply says you are allowed to carry in the car," Baus said. "They are not having any problems in the other states and we need to bring those up to speed." ... Even with the laws, restaurant owners would have the right to post a sign saying they do not allow guns on their property."




Taurus Public Defender: "I must confess i didn't get it when Taurus introduced the Judge. I thought it was awful bulky for a concealed carry piece, and I questioned the concept of shotgun shells in a defensive revolver. I could see the benefit for folks who spend a lot of time in snake country, but I didn't consider the Judge a proper concealed carry gun. Fortunately for Taurus, no one asked me, because the Judge is the best-selling gun in Taurus history. The Judge caught on fast, and it wasn't long before I started seeing them on the belts of my rancher friends. Few are gun guys, yet almost every rancher I know bought one. No matter where I went, Judge-toting ranchers were itching to whip out' their new toys. By the time it had been out a year, I'd probably fired a dozen of these guns. They impressed me enough that I eventually ordered the then-new UltraLite model. My Ultralight shot nice, tight patterns with .410 buckshot and it grouped phenomenally well with .45 Colt loads. Consequently, I've shot it an awful lot and eventually came to embrace the idea of the .410-buckshot-loaded wheelgun for self defense.... The Judge's popularity is largely due to the decisive effect of buckshot on people and the belief that the pattern thrown by the little five-shooter will make hits more likely."

1 comment:

Brad Lemming said...

Thanks for this post. I live in Shannon Jones's district and I am glad to see her standing up for us.