Tuesday, April 28, 2015

David Codrea: Courant cartoonist takes personal hatred, frustration out on gun owners



One of The Hartford Courant’s resident haters is at it again, relying on his longtime M.O. of insulting Connecticut gun rights advocates. Cartoonist Bob Englehart’s depiction of a Connecticut Citizen Defense League member as a slob and a moron recalls techniques that have been used in the past to gin up contempt for groups by portraying them as repellent stereotypes.

“If I lived out west in, say, sparsely populated parts of Montana, Nevada or Wyoming, I‘d at least own a Henry .44-40 rifle, and maybe a Colt .45, too,” Englehart writes. “But I live in Connecticut. I have no desire to own a gun of any kind, but if I did, I wouldn’t mind registering it, going through a background check and I’d certainly take a safety class and store it away from little hands. Nor would I want a gun in the possession of mentally unstable folks or criminals either.”

Nobody thinks anything he proposes will do that, or that such goals are what he’s really after do they? Because Englehart has already revealed his end game. If it were up to him, people in Montana, Nevada and Wyoming would not be able to claim a right to own a Henry or a Colt. But don’t take my word for it -- take his.

“The only way to stop this madness is to repeal the Second Amendment,” he advocated in one post. “Repeal the Second Amendment ... and the gun problem will be solved,” he proclaimed in another.

More Here

No comments: