Monday, August 16, 2010



TX: Store clerk shoots 1 of 3 robbers: "Two men have been captured and a third is on the loose after Bryan police said a clerk shot at three armed robbers wearing masks and ended up striking one of the culprits. Authorities said shortly after the 9:56 p.m. Friday call from Prince’s Food Mart, 103 S. Coulter Ave., a gunshot victim arrived at St. Joseph Regional Health Center where the person who drove him there was detained for questioning and later arrested for the robbery. The clerk told officers that the men demanded money and left with an undisclosed amount of cash before running from the store, according to Officer Jon Agnew, spokesman for the department. Agnew said the clerk believed one was wounded because he left the store crawling."


PA: Township removes gun ban in parks: "Most people going to East Hempfield Township’s parks are usually carrying tennis rackets, Frisbees or bocce balls. But township officials have amended park rules to protect individuals who practice their constitutionally-protected right to carry firearms. The township supervisors voted last week to approve a revised ordinance governing their parks. Before, visitors to East Hempfield parks were not allowed to carry or discharge firearms. But that rule was not constitutionally correct, township officials said. So park rules were amended, removing the ban on simply carrying firearms. It is still illegal ‘to discharge firearms, bows and arrows … or slings, except in authorized areas’ …”


Suicide indicators at your doctor’s office?: "Meanwhile, we gun owners discover (I was first flagged to it by a retired NYPD officer) that it’s becoming common in doctors’ offices to screen you for suicide potential by asking certain questions that may just include questions about gun ownership. It turns out one of my good friends, a gun-savvy attorney in one of America’s most crime-ridden cities who is licensed to carry a concealed handgun in public — and does so just about every day of his life — went through this not too long ago. The result was absolutely hilarious, and I share it with you now …”


Why I want to carry: "Two nights ago, my daughter’s boyfriend asked me ‘Why do you carry a gun?’ I told him I had the right to protect my family. Wrong answer. My ‘right’ wasn’t in question. Nor should it be. My unconditional right to bear arms is enshrined in the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. Says so right there: ‘the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.’ Infringe as in ‘to limit or undermine.’ So the Rhode Island concealed carry process, which asks me roughly the same question as my first born’s squeeze (and a bunch more queries besides), violates my constitutional rights. But it’s still an excellent question. The correct response: ‘I have an obligation to protect my family.”

No comments: