Sunday, May 05, 2013

Phoenix Gun Turn In (buyback) 4 May, 2013 Part 1


The first location visited to day was the Sunnyslope Mennonite Church located at 9835 North 7th Street. The weather cooperated today, with lots of sunshine, little wind, and moderate temperatures. People started showing up early at this location, but were not generally let in until very close to the official starting time.

I walked into the area where they were about to start processing turn ins. A woman walked in with me and I asked her what she was turning in, and why. She was a widow, she had inherited a pistol from her husband who was a WWII veteran. He had used it to successfully defend them in the desert, but now he had passed and she wanted to get rid of it. I asked to look into her bag, and there was a WWII German style holster in good shape, with something in it.

We had arrived at the turn-in table, and the supervisor there said that I could not take pictures. I advised the widow that her pistol could easily be worth $400 as a WWII war trophy, but she said that she was not interested and simply wanted to get rid of it.

I was told that the media was not allowed on the site for privacy reasons, and to leave the secured area.

Outside the secured area numerous private buyers had set up and were arriving.

Cars were starting to line up to bring guns to turn in.

It was the start of a very interesting day. More tomorrow. The early start, long day, and drive back from Phoenix have left me a bit fatigued. I ran into a few minor difficulties in Phoenix, and have not been able to get online until my return to Yuma.

©2013 by Dean Weingarten Permission to share granted as long as this notice is included.

No comments: