Monday, October 30, 2017

Movie Review of "Let There Be Light"



I saw the movie at an afternoon showing at the Harkins Theater in Yuma, Arizona on 28 October, 2017. I knew the movie dealt with theme of a prominent atheist converting to Christianity.

The movie is not an action packed drama, so well loved of Hollywood of late. It deals in personal interrelations and faith.  I suppose you you could say it is a "chick flick". 

The opening scene, where the main protagonist "debates" with a Christian academic, is powerful, because it shows the primary value left to secularists: hedonism.

I suspect many will be able to relate to this scene. I found the film engaging and moving. But I did so because many of the actions connected to my personal history. I was an acting agnostic/atheist for 40 years before I came to Christ.

It is an intensely personal experience.  Most Christians can tell you their story.  I have doubts about the movie resonating with people who have not experienced it.

I found Sean Hannity's limitied time on screen to be well done and believable.

It is a film worth seeing, but it did not keep me on the edge of my seat. Instead, I found tears running from my eyes.

I would like to see Christians support the film, if only to encourage more Christian oriented films. They need not be as openly proselytizing as this film.

I would like to see a movie made of "The Discovery and Conquest of Mexico" by Bernal Diaz.

That would be a guy flick. Dozens of battles, intrigue, cannibalism, and human sacrifice. With Christians, however flawed, triumphing over pagan warriors both brave and cruel. Better ideas were a significant part of the Christian victory.

Maybe Mel Gibson could direct it. 

©2016 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice and link are included.
Gun Watch

No comments: