Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Good Samaritan arrested

A neighbor armed with a shotgun who rushed in to stop a fight inside a Hendersonville apartment is facing his own set of charges.

Officers responded to a shots fired call at an apartment on Waterview Circle and determined that a man, identified as Charles Ferrell, 29, and a woman had been living together at the residence.

Police determined that Ferrell attacked the woman, causing some minor bodily injury. During the assault, the female victim was physically forced into a bedroom. Police said when she left the bedroom, she was physically assaulted and threatened with a knife.

"I'll never forget that scream," said neighbor Chase Jones. "This woman just screamed out, 'Oh, God, please help me. Somebody please help me'."

After speaking with a neighbor and listening to what was going on in the apartment, Jones said he was sure the woman's life was in danger.

"I got a shotgun out from under the bed and I ran down there," said Jones. "I thought I had a buckshot in the gun, and I shot at the doorknob to kick it open. It turned out to be a slug, and I just thought, 'Oh my goodness. Maybe I've done more harm than good'."

The bullet hit the floor, only feet from the victim and her attacker. Police said the shot caused Ferrell to bolt from the apartment, later being picked up by police.

Also arrested was Jones, who said two counts of reckless endangerment is a big problem for his family of fiance Kristen and their three-month-old son, Ashton Chase. "It's really going to mess our lives up now," said Jones.

Neighbors said they were proud of Jones for what he did. "He's a hero in this community," said neighbor Ashley Williams. "He may not think so, but he is."

"I probably should have went about it a different way," said Jones. "I was trying to do the right thing. I'm glad she's okay, so glad she's alright."

Ferrell was charged with attempted first-degree murder and aggravated kidnapping. His bond has been set at $1 million. His court date is set for April 25.

Jones was charged with two counts of reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon. He has been released on a $2,500 bond. He is also scheduled to be in court date April 25.

The victim in this case declined to give an interview, but she did tell Channel 4 she's certain Jones saved her life. She said she'll be catching up with Jones soon to tell him 'thank you'.


FL: Boy's shooting was self-defense: "Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee Jr. said Monday that his department has nearly completed "a thorough and fair investigation" into the fatal shooting of a Miami high school junior, but said police do not have anything at this point to dispute shooter George Zimmerman?s self-defense claim. According to police, Zimmerman, 26, the captain of a neighborhood crime watch group, told them that he shot Trayvon Martin, 17, in self-defense after an altercation on the night of Feb. 26. Several callers told police that they saw a fight and heard a gunshot. Zimmerman, with the gun, was bleeding from his nose and head when authorities arrived, according to the Orlando Sentinel."

MI: Customer with gun stops man with knife outside market: "A man with a license to carry a concealed weapon used his gun to stop a Madison Heights man suspected of trying to assault people with a knife in the parking lot of Holiday Market, police said. ... 'The suspect began approaching the couple with the knife drawn,' Royal Oak Detective Lt. Tom Goad said in a statement. 'As the suspect approached, one of the customers in the lot, a CCW license holder, pulled his firearm out and ordered the suspect to drop the knife.'"

British gun control at work: "A woman on a shopping trip has been shot in broad daylight after being caught in the crossfire of a shootout between two rival gangsters. The 30-year-old, who remains in hospital, was on her way home in Peckham, south London, when she was hit in the lower back by the stray bullet. Police believe she was shot during a row between two men who both fled the scene yesterday afternoon. 'Police were called at around 5.15pm on Sunday to Bournemouth Road close to Rye Lane in SE15, following reports of shots fired,' a Met spokesman said. 'A 30-year-old woman suffering a gunshot wound was taken by ambulance to a south London hospital where her condition remains stable. Last year a five-year-old girl was left paralysed after being gunned down accidentally in a different part of south London."

No comments: