Thursday, March 27, 2014

Looking for Slave's Friend Bowie Knife Pamphlet



A number of years ago I came across a good image of the above Slave's Friend abolitionist pamphlet.   It was published sometime between 1836 and 1860, most likely in the earlier years.    Freeper Ruy Dias de Bivar was kind enough to send me the image above, which is from MAN AT ARMS, published by the NRA, August, 1997, page 12.

I intend to make this pamphlet easily available on the Internets, but I need a better image than the one above.   I know at least one better one exists, because I saw it in a reference book on weapons that I used to own.   My copy and I parted company sometime during the last 30 years.

The writing on the page of the pamphlet that I want, reads as follows:

THE BOWIE KNIFE

These horrid weapons are usually called Bowie Knives. They were invented by a man who lived in the state of Louisiana. His name was Buie. It is a French name, and pronounced Boo-e. Afterwards he went to Texas, and was killed in a battle.
People in slave states often carry such knives about them. When they get angry they draw the knife, and sometimes stab one another!


A man who keeps a shop in Broadway, New York city, sells Bowie knives.
 If you have such an image, or have a link to one, please let me know.

 Dean Weingarten

No comments: