Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Site design

I have had relayed to me various criticisms of this site's template.
In particular, some readers think the colors are too bright
I am perfectly happy to change the colors but I need some sort of agreement first about what colors would be better
Please make suggestions via the Comments facility
If I see a consistent theme there I will adopt it
Best regards to all readers here

John Ray  -- site owner

UPDATE

Comments to date seem more favorable than not.  You can't please all the people all the time I guess.
But I have toned down the background color.  Reactions to that?

JR



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The color scheme seems fine to me.
But the trend now is to go very minimalistic with colors and such. Maybe do a white background, then use color fonts for headers/headings to spruce it up.

Colored backgrounds and colored backgrounds behind headings aren't very popular anymore as they tend to focus more on the colors themselves instead of the content.

MR. Rogers said...

look fine to me , thank you for taking the time to do this page

Anonymous said...

First time reader here, saw you over on TTAG. For what it's worth, I don't find your site design all that bad, and comments like "searing my eyes" are the sort of over-the-top hyperbole that don't really mean much. I personally think the splash of color on the header is fine, and I *might* mute the background color a tad, but the problem for me is the headlines and graphics that knock out your background color with a "white" background is jarring as you read. I would make the background color for heading and images either transparent or match your background color. Reading with Chrome on Mac OS. Good luck, and looking forward to reading your blog!

thatOneGuy said...

I agree that the color theme could be better. I would look at http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized for a color pallet/insperation. I use the dark theme every day. I know the plugins are mostly editors for code but you could grab the colors that make sense for you background, text and links.