Saturday, March 01, 2014

Piers Morgan Brought Positive Change


Piers Morgan

He was vilified for his abhorrence of the second amendment.  His ratings sank lower and lower until he was shown the door.   He had a petition signed by over 100,000 people asking for his deportation from the United States.

Frontpagemag.com reports that he abused his staff (quoting from the New York Daily News).  Yet, in spite of these achievements, or perhaps, because of them, a commenter at frontpagemag.com says that Piers Morgan brought positive change to a number of people in his life.  Olorin writes:
I think he was terribly useful and served an outstanding niche: I know six liberals who changed their mind about gun control (pro —> questioning —> anti) as a result of listening to his gibberish. It led them to come to me and my household and ask us questions they might not otherwise have about things he said. That led to asking about life and death stuff. Hard stuff. Policy, history, and experiences. 

We could then have a quiet, honest, interactive set of discussions about RKBA and the Second Amendment. Then took each one of ‘em shooting, at different times. Four have since joined various pro-2A organizations. I took one (a self-proclaimed progressive feminist lesbian) to her first gun show, where she decided upon her first pistol and her first rifle, to be purchased as soon as her CCW arrives in the mail. Two more joined two of my gun clubs, and yet another is researching becoming an NRA certified RSO. 

Thank you, Piers Morgan, for opening minds by showing yours to be so closed!
So we find that even closed minds and a bombastic, abusing style that made people cringe can be turned to good purposes.   John Lott, at nationalreview.com writes that he received this response, one of many:
As noble as he thought he was, Piers did a disservice to his cause. I will buy your book and read it, and if I find your conclusions credible by my own standards, I will write Mr. Morgan and let him know. 

I may end up disagreeing with you, but tonight, you have certainly won my respect.
Perhaps civility, courtesy, rational discourse, and fair play still means something in America.


©2014 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.
Link to Gun Watch

No comments: