Monday, March 09, 2015

Seen at the Gun Show:1896 Broomhandle Mauser Carbine



You do not see many Broomhandle Mauser carbines.  Very few were made originally, and even later, non-factory modifications of Broomhandles and reproductions were not made in huge quantities.  I like to go to local gun shows at Yuma, but my schedule and the shows seldom seem to match these days.  This Saturday, I went and saw this Mauser at one of the tables.  It looked in very nice shape, and the owner was gracious enough to allow me to take pictures of it.    When I got back to my computer, I did a little research on the carbines.  Unfortunately for the owner, a web site that claims to know about the Mauser carbines lists some details that they say would disqualify this specimen from being an original.

Let me assure everyone that I am not an expert on Mauser Carbines.  What I know about them only comes from looking things up on the Internet, so there may well be experts that would disagree.  One thing that stands out on this item is the length of the barrel.   It appears to be about 18 inches long.   The web site says that nearly all original (there is always the possibility of a super-rare special order) carbines have 14.5 inch or 11.8 inch barrels.  The web site categorically says that no carbines had the MAUSER banner on them.  From askmisterscience.com:
Most had -
• 500 meter sights
• 11.8 inch (300mm) barrels
    or
• 14.5 inch (370mm) barrels

Some (undoubtedly special orders) had -

• checkered wood
• fluted barrels
    or
• barrel ribs

No
Mauser-made carbines had -
• a MAUSER banner on the frame (this appeared on pistols some fifteen or twenty years after the carbine's demise)
• the New Safety or Universal Safety (ditto)
Here is the left side of the specimen that I saw at the show.


I do not enjoy bringing bad news to others, so I would only suggest to the Mauser's owner that they have an expert authenticate the item.  I am certainly not such an expert. 

Whether it is original or not, the Mauser carbine is a fascinating firearm that I am sure any owner would enjoy.

©2014 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.
Link to Gun Watch

2 comments:

Wireless.Phil said...

Nice!
Too bad its setting on plain wood and not a different background color to make it pop.

Wireless.Phil said...

Just on, no outcome shown on PBS Government Channel.

Ohio supreme court

Feb 24, 2015

Case  No. 2014-0449

Argument:

Is an inoperable pistol a deadly weapon.

Will be notified, took recess.