Saturday, October 31, 2015

More Open Carry at the Vertical Church




I was on Security detail at my church again.  They keep the temperature cool, so I was wearing a jacket.  One of the difficulties of open carry is that it becomes awkward when you are wearing clothes to keep warm.  So I was carrying casually concealed.


Glocks are popular

I did not mind the temperature.  I am acclimated to warmer temps; but it is easier to for me to put on a jacket than it is for someone who likes it a bit cooler to remove their skin.

I noticed five open carriers, and at least one other concealed carrier.  I only noticed that he was carrying concealed because he adjusted his shirt and I caught a glimpse of an in the waist band holster in the appendix position.  There were certainly a number of other concealed carriers.  By definition, they are harder to spot.  I may well have missed a couple of open carriers as well; I was not on a "roaming" position that Sunday.


Maybe a Bersa? Note the folding knife, clipped to the pocket.

 I was reading David Hardy's excellent new book, "Origins and Development of the Second Amendment, when I found a reference to colonial requirements to carry guns in church from the Virginia laws of arms bearing.
All men that are fitting to bear arms, shall bring their pieces to the church...
The law dated to 1631.  David Hardy found it in the 1823 work by William Henning, "The Statutes at large, being a collection of all the laws of Virginia, Vol. 1 at 127, 173-174."

Those were perilous time in Virginia.



This congregant preferred a Ruger LCP. 

All of the open carriers that I noticed were younger than I am.  One of the things that I enjoy about the Vertical church is the significant number of young people and families with children.  It is a thriving and growing church.

©2014 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.
Link to Gun Watch

No comments: