Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Feisty Texas sisters defend store, ward off robber: "Forty years worth of drive-up service at the Douglas Grocery Store in north Fort Worth came to a screeching halt on Saturday afternoon. A man with a gun rushed inside. 53-year-old Irene Vargas was sitting in her familiar chair just inside the door. "He said, 'Give me your money or I'm going to shoot you. I'm going to kill you.' He put the gun here and hit me in the head twice," she said. Irene's sister, 50-year-old Christine Vargas, was standing behind the counter. "When I saw the pistol hit her head," she said, "I knew it wasn't a joke." Christine wanted to protect her sister. "I pulled the tray out, which made a noise to attract his attention. Then I pulled the pistol, and knew I had to shoot because it was either him or us." Vargas fired two shots from her 38-Special. She missed the gunman, but did get his attention. "I told him, 'If you can run, you'd better run fast, because if I get a chance I'm going to kill you,'" Vargas said. "He ran and that was it."

Mugger fatally shot outside NC motel: "Police are investigating a shooting at a north Charlotte motel. Officers said they went searching for the victim early Thursday, but they believe he's the man who showed up at Presbyterian Hospital with a gunshot wound and later died. Authorities originally headed to the InTown Suites on North Tryon Street just before 5:30 a.m. in response to a call about an attempted robbery by three men where shots were fired. When they arrived, they couldn't find anyone injured. Then about 5:40 a.m., officials in the Presbyterian Hospital Emergency Room called police and reported a man who had been shot had just died. Witnesses said they heard shots fired into a motel room, then saw the man inside come out and fire back at three men, hitting one of them. Police said after investigating, they believe the three men tried to rob a woman in the parking lot when her boyfriend came out of his room and fired shots. Investigators said when they discovered a man had died after being dropped off at the hospital, they connected the information and they believe he's the man who was shot. That man was identified as 22-year-old Anthony Davis. Officers have questioned several people who were involved. They said they've turned their evidence over to the district attorney's office to determine if charges will be filed. They said the case may be deemed a justifiable homicide."

No comments: