Tuesday, April 12, 2016

TX: Home Invasion Stopped with Gunfire by Former Marine; no Story



One of the advantages of Open Carry is that it is a good excuse for social interaction.  I was in the local Dallas Wal-Mart, taking pictures of .22 ammuntion for sale, while another customer was waiting for the cabinet to be unlocked.  I asked him to take my picture.  On the shelf lined up with my chin, there are 31 50 round boxes of CCI standard velocity, for $3.47 each.

My new photographer casually mentioned that he was there to buy .38 special ammunition, because he had to repel a home invasion the previous night.

I asked if he had reported it to police; he said he had.  I gave him my card, and asked if he was willing to tell me details of his story.

Donnie Anderson said that he lived at the Kelly Crossing apartments a few blocks away from the Wal-Mart.  He had made the acquaintance of a  young woman and had invited her up to his apartment.  He became suspicious when he noticed that the young woman had neglected to lock the door to the apartment.

After a romantic encounter, the woman was furiously texting away, which made Donny even more suspicious.  She said that she had to get back to her car, because she needed to check on her baby sitter.

When she unlocked the door to the apartment, a confederate, armed with a handgun,  tried to force his way inside.

Donnie said that he pushed the invader's gun hand up as he rushed them out the door.  He managed to get off three shots with his .38 special revolver during the altercation.

Donnie stated that he had been a Marine, and that they are taught to react swiftly.  He said all the details were not clear, as he had tunnel vision as the attack was happening.  He mentioned two bullet holes in the ceiling.  He gave me contact information if I wanted further details.  He did not know where the third shot landed.

Donnie is a big, muscular, man.  The story sounded believable.  An hour later, I called up and asked if I could come over and see the bullet holes.

They were both there, in the ceiling of the outside hallway leading to the stairwell, entering at an oblique angle, from the direction of his apartment door.  Donnie also had a standard printed form, with a case number and contact number.



 I was unable to find any mention of this story in local news sources. 

It is likely one of the hundreds of thousands of stories where a gun is used to stop a crime, but no details ever make it into an official reporting system.

After all, no one was reported as shot; no property was taken, and no one was arrested, at least not yet.

 Donnie did not want his picture taken.

 ©2016 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.
Link to Gun Watch

No comments: