Saturday, March 29, 2008

California: Neighbor apprehends burglar after pursuit: "At about 2:45 p.m. a woman reported to the Sheriff's Office that she saw a man enter her next-door neighbor's residence on the 400 block of Chartin Way. The woman told the Sheriff's Emergency Dispatchers that her son, Steven Wilson, 49, armed with a handgun, had attempted to apprehend the suspect inside the residence and was now chasing him toward Rancheria Road. Deputies arrived a few minutes later and found Wilson detaining Ryan Bush, 21 of Eureka. Further investigation revealed that the suspect had allegedly forcibly entered the locked residence on Chartin Way and removed several items. There was also significant vandalism inside the residence, including broken doors, light fixtures, furniture, and scratched wood floors. When Wilson confronted him, the suspect fled from the house. Wilson fired a single "warning shot" and told the suspect to freeze, but he continued to run. The suspect ran through backyards and private driveways until Wilson was able to catch and detain him near Rancheria Road. Bush was treated at a local hospital for a laceration he sustained either during the burglary or the pursuit. He also had a previous injury that required medical attention. Bush was then transported to the Humboldt County jail and booked for burglary. His bail was set at $50,000 and he is expected to be arraigned Friday."

Michigan: No Charges For Gas Station Shooter: "Kent Co. prosecutors have announced that there will be no charges for the man who shot and killed another man in Grand Rapids. It all happened last month at the Shell Gas Station at the corner of Kalamazoo Ave. and Boston Street. Gabriel Rodriguez was filling up his car when he got into an argument with a man named Glenn Tett, who is licensed to carry a concealed weapon. Surveillance video shows Rodriguez picking up a trash can lid seemingly to hit Tett, when Tett takes out a gun and shoots Rodriguez, killing him. Tett told police that the reason he fired his gun was because he feared for his life, and after watching the surveillance video and investigating the case, Kent Co. Prosecutors agreed that Rodriguez' actions could have been interpreted as life-threatening. "As you're watching (the surveillance video), this happens in an instant," said Kent Co. Prosecutor Bill Forsyth. "We could sit here and Monday-morning-quarterback this, and say well, 'He could have closed the door to his truck and gotten in and driven away. (Tett) could have stepped back, he could have waited to see what it was he was swinging at him, it might have changed things,' but that's not the way the law is written."

Ohio: Older guy fatally shot as he tried to 'jump on' his son: "A South Side man fatally shot his father Monday after the father "went to jump on" him during a fight in the family home, according to a 911 call to police. In a weary, subdued voice, Janice Carson detailed in the tape-recorded call the moments that led up to the killing of Steven J. Carson about 3:40 p.m. inside her home at 1348 Oakwood Ave. Steven Carson, 51, no longer lived there, Janice Carson said, but she didn't explain why he was in the house. "My ex-husband came in and went to jump on my son, and my son has shot his father," she told the call-taker. Steven Carson was shot once, according to police. In an inventory of items police said they took during a search of the home were a .45-caliber Ruger handgun, a shell casing and a pillowcase. Homicide detectives have not charged the son, identified in various police and court documents as Derick W. Carson, 23. They said the younger Carson might have acted in self-defense, and the case will be presented to a grand jury. In 2000, Steven Carson was charged with aggravated menacing and domestic violence, according to Franklin County Municipal Court records. Arrest documents accused him of threatening to kill Janice Carson, and he ultimately was given a 180-day suspended jail sentence and placed on probation for two years."

Oregon man says he killed co-worker in self-defense: "An Oregon man accused of killing a co-worker in Missouri claimed self-defense in his interview with police, according to court documents. Alan J. Schaedler, 41, of Eugene has been charged with second-degree murder in the March 8 shooting of Timothy Thornsberry, 36, of Coos Bay, according to a story in the Eugene Register-Guard. The men were part of a construction crew building barns for farmers in Missouri. They had been sharing a room at the USA Inn in the town of Mount Vernon since January. In a sworn police statement, Schaedler described his version of the shooting this way: Thornsberry was drunk on rum and upset about a telephone conversation he'd had with his girlfriend. Schaedler said he decided to leave the room when Thornsberry started directing his anger at him. Thornsberry then walked toward him in an aggressive way, describing his fists as "deadly weapons." Schaedler grabbed his .45-caliber semiautomatic pistol from the night stand and pointed it at Thornsberry, ordering him to back off. Thornsberry complied and Schaedler put the pistol back in its holster. But Thornsberry resumed his aggressiveness, prompting Schaedler to redraw the gun. Schaedler flipped the safety off, and then fired when Thornsberry took another step toward him. Schaedler told officers he left the room, placed the gun in his truck, called 9-1-1 on his cell phone and had a soda while waiting for police. Schaedler remains in the Lawrence County Jail. He has been assigned a lawyer and is scheduled to appear in court Monday for a bond-reduction hearing."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my buddy's recently got into some trouble at a bar and the short story is he was arrested on assault charges which are ridiculous we were there and watched as a random guy came up to him punched him in the face and began repeatedly beating him. He stood up to defend himself and in the crossfire the wasted dude fell and banged his head on the kerb. The cops show up and don't want to hear us and arrest him.
It all got cleared up in the end but had that have gone to court and my friend had to have paid court bonds could he have claimed them back or even sued the police force for wrongful arrest? Also where would be the best place for getting bonded?