Tuesday, May 11, 2021

AZ: Open Carrier and Concealed Carrier meet in Walmart Dispute over Cart

Weingarten open carry image taken by friend picked up from hospital. Courtesy Dean Weingarten.


On Sunday, 2 May, 2021, about 12:30 p.m. this correspondent was in a Walmart in Yuma, Arizona. 

It was a mission of mercy. 

After church, a visit to a friend in the hospital was in order. I had delivered him to the emergency room three days before. The friend desired another key for his residence, so more people could help to care for his dogs and do other needful things. 

At the Walmart, I stopped at the firearms and ammunition section to take pictures of the lack of product available. I had a cart with some canned goods and a loaf of bread, which had been picked up on the way to obtain a duplicate key. 

I took the pictures and turned to retrieve the cart. 

Walmart only had 17 100rd boxes of 12 gauge target loads. Image courtesy Dean Weingarten

 

The cart was gone. Another cart was near by, but it was not mine.

I said: "Where did my cart go? It had a loaf of bread in it."

Another customer pointed down an aisle to the left. 

"There is a cart with bread in it", he said.

25 yards away, walking away from us, was an above average sized middle aged man, with a cart with a loaf of bread in it. 

I speed walked up to the man, looked at the cart as I approached, and ascertained it contained the items I had selected. 

I was openly carrying a Glock 17 in a Fobus retention holster. 

I touched the man on the upper arm, from his left rear, and said: 

"Excuse me. I think you have the wrong cart by mistake."

The gentleman looked at me with a puzzled look. He looked at the contents of the cart. He looked back at me and said:

"I think you are right. I was just at the ammunition counter..."

He looked at his wife, approaching from behind us.

He said: "I think I grabbed the wrong cart. Sorry about that. I was just checking out what ammunition was available."

He noticed the Glock on my hip.

He looked at me and said: "I am old school" and carefully and deliberately swept back his shirt to reveal a well worn 1911A1 holstered at his right side waist.

We discussed the state of ammunition.  I gave him one of my cards. We strolled back to the ammunition counter, where he took possession of the cart I had seen there.

Other than the mistake with the cart, it was a typical meeting of the minds in the gun culture.

On a previous trip to Fry's a few days before, an older gentleman approached me as I left the store. The local requirement for wearing a mask has been removed. I had the same Glock and holster on my hip.

"I'd like to know", he asked; "Did they make you wear a mask while you were armed?" We both had a good laugh.  

Most armed Americans, with considerable reason to believe it is so, assume other members of the gun culture are sane people, above average in personal responsibility, who believe in and practice individual rights and responsibilities. They return the respect they are given. 

Instead of shoot-outs, you experience friendly acceptance.

There were no signs on the Walmart doors. No one mentioned the holstered sidearm on my hip. The number of people wearing masks was decreasing. 

Neither my new acquaintance nor I were wearing masks.

The phone announced a call. The friend in the hospital reported the hospital would be releasing him in an hour.  

The possibility of release had been uncertain. 

I obtained the duplicate key and returned to the hospital, to pick him up and take him to his house.

For the first time in years, the prognosis seemed reasonably clear, and significantly positive. 

©2021 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice and link are included.

Gun Watch 



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the weirdest feelings I experienced during the pandemic was when I entered the bank wearing a mask and carrying a gun. I took out money. MY money.

Anonymous said...

Nice story, Dean. Thanks and keep up the great work. I faithfully check GUN WATCH several times a week.