Thursday, January 20, 2005

A 17-year-old robbery suspect died late Thursday or early Friday after he suffered a gunshot wound when a storeowner fired in self-defense, police said. Rashawn Edward Linnear, of Detroit, was armed with a .45 caliber handgun when he and two other teens -- 16-year-old Miguil Andrew Jackson and 15-year-old Deandre Lamar Benson -- entered the Oakland Party Store on Ten Mile Road in Southfield at about 9 p.m. Wednesday, Local 4 reported. The three ordered the store's owner, 51-year-old Maurice Gorges, and a customer to the floor at gunpoint, police said. Gorges, of West Bloomfield, said he asked the teens to leave after he emptied out his register for them. "They kept saying, 'No. Give us the safe and the videotape (or) we're going to kill both of you,'" said the customer, whose name was being withheld. Gorges, who purchased a gun eight years ago after his store was robbed, said he fired his weapon when Linnear pointed the handgun at him. "I didn't want to do that . I gave him a chance, but that's his choice," Gorges said. The 17-year-old suffered a gunshot wound to the head. He was taken to Providence Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead. Jackson and Benson, both from Detroit, were arrested by Southfield police. One was chased and captured by a police officer and the other was tracked down by a K-9 unit, police said. The teens were charged as adults Thursday afternoon. Police said they do not expect the storeowner to face charges

Ohio: Parolee's sub shop robbery attempt "torpedoed": "The Dayton Daily News is reporting that a robbery suspect was shot in the arm Friday by the manager of the Subway restaurant he is accused of trying to rob in the 2800 block of East Third Street. The newspaper reports the suspect, whose name was not released, was taken to a local hospital to be treated for the non-life-threatening wound after police caught up with him at his sister's house in the 1-99 block of Philadelphia Street shortly after 1 p.m. According to quotes in the DDN attributed to Dayton Sgt. Michael McCune, the manager fired a 9 mm at the suspect, who was holding a .22 caliber handgun. The suspect dropped his gun and ran out the front door to his sister's house, a block away from the restaurant. The sister called 911, police said."

No comments: