Saturday, October 22, 2011

MN: Good Samaritan shoots, kills armed robber: "Police say a middle-aged woman was assaulted and robbed near a south Minneapolis Cub Foods. A witness, with a conceal and carry permit, saw the incident, chased the attacker, and fired off at least one shot killing the suspect. On Friday evening, the Hennepin County Medical Examiner identified the dead man as 23-year-old Darren Evanovich of Minneapolis. Authorities say he died from multiple gunshot wounds. "We do know guns were drawn from both parties," said Sgt. McCarty. "But we are still investigating exactly what happened." Those critical details will determine whether or not the Good Samaritan in this case will be charged. The witness in this case has not been arrested. Once the investigation is complete, the case will be passed on to the Hennepin County Attorney's Office."

CA: Bedroom shooting case ends in acquittal: "A man who shot his ex-girlfriend's nephew in San Rafael was acquitted of assault charges Friday. Edward William Outcalt, 50, claimed self-defense in the shooting, which occurred in July 2010 at his ex-girlfriend's home on Marquard Avenue. Outcalt rented a room in the house, and the woman's 24-year-old nephew lived there as well. During a conflict in the middle of the night, Outcalt shot the nephew in the abdomen with a .22-caliber gun he kept next to his bed. San Rafael police arrived to find Outcalt and the gun in some bushes near the home. The nephew suffered one bullet wound and survived. Defense attorney Jon Rankin said the nephew was a volatile martial arts practitioner who had threatened Outcalt previously and called him a "f——— Chihuahua." On the night of the shooting, when the heavily intoxicated nephew burst into Outcalt's room, Outcalt feared for his life and instinctively went for his gun, Rankin said."

OH: For two years, the police have kept my gun: "At 2 a.m. on April 24, 2010, the alarm to the backyard barn went off. I armed myself and went to check it out. The barn door was wide open and a man was inside looking around with a flashlight. I yelled at him to come to me and he came at me with a tire iron in hand. He was less than 10 feet away when I fired a warning shot. He turned and ran; I fired more shots trying to get him to stop. At no time was I trying to hit him. The police came, took the tire iron that he dropped and also took my gun. It’s been almost two years, and I still cannot get my gun back. No charges were ever filed. I saw a lawyer and was told it would cost me $400 to file papers with the court for return of the gun. The gun was registered and I have a permit to carry. I’m 68, never been in trouble. I fired in self-defense. Why are they keeping my gun?"

No comments: