Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Situational Awareness: Clerk has gun Ready When Robber Points Pistol (video)



In this interesting video of an attempted robbery, the clerk's situational awareness allows him to respond quickly. The shooting occurred on March 10, 2017, in Columbus, Ohio. The clerk is suspicious of the customer coming in the door with his hand hidden. The clerk draws his semi-auto from his right side back pocket.  The lack of a holster is a good clue to a lack of training. Store personnel armed themselves after three armed robberies in a year.






Link to video:

In the video, I was only able to detect two shots.  One can be heard as the suspect drops down below the counter level. It is fired by the clerk. It appears to be a miss.

The second shot occurs as the suspect is at the shops doors. You can see the muzzle flash in the image.  It is possible that more shots were fired.



I was unable to detect any shots from the suspect's revolver.

The suspect was wounded in one of his hands. Which hand is not specified.
He was arrested at the hospital.  The clerk's pistol looks rather "Glockish" but many pistols today have that look.

After the suspect has fled the store, the clerk runs up to the doorway.  This is not a good tactic. The threat is gone, and may have set up an ambush.  Call the police.  If you must approach the door, consider a different approach.  It would be good to have a camera monitoring the entrance.

The robbery suspect is rather lucky he was not killed.

©2017 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice and link are included.

Gun Watch





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have at last count 21 individual holsters. 14 specially designed custom gun belts, four sets of double shoulder holsters, five single holster gun belts. six double holster gun belts and many times during my 52 years of pistol carrying I have put my small six shot revolver in my back pocket. it is a matter of choice, not of training or lack of equipment. when I get my new glasses I should be as accurate as I ever was. I have always qualified expert.