Sunday, July 26, 2015

AL: Gun Free Zone Signs go Down; Governor Bentley Fulfills 2010 Promise



A year and a half ago, I wrote about the illegal "No Weapons" signs at rest stops in Alabama.  The Alabama Department of Transportation doubled down and declared the signs legal ... because.  Yesterday afternoon, Friday, the 24th of July, 2015, Governor Bentley stepped up to the plate and ordered the signs taken down.  From yellowhammernews.com reporting the Governor's tweet:


I have ordered the AL Department of Transportation to remove signs banning weapons at all Alabama rest stops to comply with state law.

Good for the Governor. He knows how to count. He is also keeping his campaign promises from 2010:

  • I will defend Alabama’s sovereignty from federal encroachment, consistent with the Tenth Amendment to the US Constitution.

  • I will protect each Alabamian’s right to legally purchase, own, carry and use firearms.

  • I will ensure the state government does not hinder city and county government operations.

  • The Second Amendment clearly grants every American the right to own firearms. As Governor I will protect each Alabamian’s right to legally purchase, own, carry, and use firearms.
Governor Bentley is a Republican. 

©2015 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.
Link to Gun Watch

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife was pretty peeved about that when she drove through AL last fall. What really set her off was that she got all the way to the bathroom before they had a "no guns" sign. If they had the sign in the parking area she could have removed her gun before leaving the car (which she didn't like, places like rest stops for a woman alone is why she carries).

When I showed her this, she got angry all over again about it. (chuckle)

Anonymous said...

Dang I'm going to have to be careful when I travel. I carry all of those items and many more.

Anonymous said...

I have been to where that picture was taken.