Sunday, October 03, 2004


Pity he didn't have a gun himself

"An Army MP just back from a tour in Afghanistan was shot in a donut shop parking confrontation but then beat his alleged assailant into submission. Jeremy Bailey, 24, of Weymouth, received stitches at South Shore Hospital to close a gash in his forehead left by the bullet, and was released. "He's lucky," Weymouth Police Capt. Brian Callahan said. "This was a dangerous, dangerous incident around 9 at night at a Dunkin' Donuts that is pretty busy."

Police arrested Edward Green, 20, of Mattapan and charged him with attempted murder, and Nicole D. Pina, 21, of 11 McCusker Drive, Braintree, who was with him. Callahan said she assaulted several police officers. "These people were totally out of control," Callahan said.

Bailey went to the Dunkin' Donuts in Weymouth Landing with his 16-year-old brother, Casey Toole, of Braintree shortly before 9:30 last night and found a car with two women and a man inside blocking the parking lot entrance. Bailey said he squeezed past the car, rolled down his window and yelled to the woman driver, "Why not just move over, honey."

He said she yelled something back at him and backed up as though she was trying to hit his car. Bailey said he drove to a parking space, and started walking towards the donut shop with his brother when the man who was in the other car came towards him. "I saw the guy take a pistol out of his pants about 10 feet away. I ducked and charged, and he shot me in the head," Bailey said. He said he managed to punch the man, who police identified as Green, and knock him to the ground.

Bailey said he was feeling dizzy, and as he kicked the gun out of Green's hand, he saw Pina get into his car, where he had left his keys, and begin driving it away. "I jumped in the window and slammed it into park," he said. "She was hitting me, and I pulled her out of the car through the window."

Bailey said that was when he saw Green coming at him with the gun again. "I punched him down to the ground, got on top of him and kept punching and trying to get the gun, and he was yelling, 'stop,'" Bailey said. He said Pina kicked him on the side of the head three times as he struggled, and that Green hit him on the head with the handle of the handgun."

More here.

No comments: