Saturday, February 23, 2013

BarackObama.com asks for gun violence stories, only shares ones that promote gun control


"We're a nation that believes in the Second Amendment, and I believe in the Second Amendment. We've got a long tradition of hunting and sportsmen and people who want to make sure they can protect themselves." - Barack Obama, Oct. 16, 2012

by Chad D. Baus

On Wednesday, February 20, we received a great suggestion from a reader:

Hello, on the barackobama.com or organizing for action site they have a link for stories for anti gun people, I thought it would be nice if a few thousand people would tell their pro gun story on it. Some links take you to the page to donate but you can get to the page to tell your story also. http://www.barackobama.com/stories/share-your-story Pat

I thought Pat's idea was an excellent one, and immediately went to the website and posted a story about how my father-in-law was able to utilize his right to carry to protect himself when a violent criminal, who was already wanted for homicide, stuck a stolen gun in his face and demanded his truck.

I also passed Pat's suggestion on to our more than 16,000 followers by posting the link on the Buckeye Firearms Association Facebook page on Thursday morning, Feb. 21.

Several people have commented on the Facebook post, noting that they have submitted their stories. Some have also begun sharing their stories on our Facebook page.

BarackObama.com has begun posting stories, but it's a funny thing - not one of these stories have been posted. Indeed, only stories promoting gun control are being shared there.

In addition to my own story about how my father-in-law used a gun to protect himself from a violent attacker, here are some of the other accounts that have been submitted to BarackObama.com and posted on our Facebook page:

Chris H:

I work second shift, and late one night after work, I was on my porch when I was approached from the walk by a stranger looking for gas money and a phone. When I told him I didn't have any cash (truth) and that my phone was out of order (a lie, but I'm not letting a stranger in my house at 2 am), he became belligerent and started to come at me, cursing and threatening me. I drew my pistol (which holds enough rounds and has enough attachments to qualify an assault weapon under the proposed legislation) and took a defensive stance. My would be attacker stopped his approach and retreated down the street. Reasonably sure my gun prevented a violent confrontation.

David S.

I used to be worried that I would be unable to defend myself from a violent attacker, especially one with a gun. I try to stay alert, and away from harm. That is not always possible. With the right to defend myself with a gun reaffirmed by the Supreme Court, I feel safer knowing that I can defend myself against an armed assailant, instead of waiting for the police to show up.

Greg B.

One night I heard this commotion & I was scared it was a bad guy. I grabbed my Mag Light & my [C]olt 1911 & I wasn't scared anymore. The End. And a happy one at that.

Jeff D.

I work at a gas station.... I always have a weapon... everyone knows by now. The station up the street has been robbed many times, I have not.....

Brian S.

When I was a child, my father and I were returning from an event when a man appeared from almost nowhere and demanded my father's wallet. When my father refused, the man pulled out a revolver, pointed at my dad's head and fired. My dad moved his head quickly enough that he wasn't hit. My dad then pulled out his own service pistol and shot the criminal in the chest and stomach. I'm glad my dad had his pistol on him that night or he'd surely been killed. My father is a retired police officer.

Research shows firearms are used to protect lives as many as two million times every year. "Armed citizen" accounts are published in gun rights magazines monthly. There are also entire websites and blogs devoted to sharing these stories.

Here at BuckeyeFirearms.org, a complete list of known incidents involving Ohio CHL-holders defending themselves is available here.

And yet the BarackObama.com folks can't see fit to post even one "gun violence" story that shows the benefits of an armed citizenry.

Chad D. Baus is the Buckeye Firearms Association Vice Chairman.

Source

No comments: