Monday, November 06, 2006

Chicago area: Comic book store owner shoots, kills armed robber in self-defense : "The strip mall was the scene of an attempted armed robbery that resulted in an exchange of gunfire and the death of the would-be robber Friday, police said. The shooting occurred at Westlake Cards, Comics and Coins, 1234 W. Lake St., police said. DuPage County State’s Attorney Joseph Birkett said the shooting was justified and no charges would be filed against the shopkeeper, Glen Soustek of Hanover Park. What ended in deadly gunfire began at around 10:30 a.m., when a man carrying a black bag walked into the comic book store, authorities said. He proceeded to the counter in the back of the store and pulled a handgun out of the bag, police said. He then jumped over the counter and pointed the gun at Soustek. Almost simultaneously, the owner — who was at his desk on the opposite side of the counter — pulled his own gun from the desk and the two fired at each other, authorities said. The armed robber — later identified as Geoffrey A. Webb of St. Louis, a 40-year-old convicted felon — was shot several times, including the head, and died at the scene. Soustek suffered a single gunshot wound to the arm. After the shooting, he ran out of his store, seeking help at the neighboring Silver Lake Restaurant. He was later treated and released from Alexian Brothers Medical Center in Elk Grove Village.... Upon arrival, police discovered Webb behind the counter, gun still in hand, they said. Emergency workers attempted to treat him, but he was pronounced dead at 10:54 a.m. Authorities said they also discovered a mask, duct tape and handcuffs in his bag. Later, police learned Webb was convicted of an armed robbery in 1994 and served time in prison. He was on parole at the time of the shooting, authorities said.

Chicago area: Jury acquits man in bar shooting : A Lake Superior Court jury acquitted a Gary man of murder in the shooting death of 23-year-old Kevin Stephens in March 2004. Michael C. Andrews, 27, was found not guilty Friday afternoon. Andrews testified Thursday that Stephens produced a handgun after intervening in a fight between Andrews' uncle and cousin. The fight occurred at about 3 a.m. on March 20, 2004, in the alley behind Dena's Pub at 35th Avenue and Broadway. The bar has since closed. Andrews said Stephens leveled the gun at him, the two struggled and shots were fired. Stephens was shot in the chest, back and thigh. Defense attorney Herbert Shaps told jurors his client, acted in self-defense and out of fear his uncle would be shot. Police never found the weapon."

No comments: