Monday, February 16, 2015

VA: How to provoke a Shooting







Link to YouTube Video of Rite-Aid Confrontation

The Rite-Aid shooting saga has just resulted in another mistrial for Bernell Benn.  In the video, Benn is the large black man on the cell phone.   Colorado is the white man in white shorts and dark short sleeved shirt.  From the recent article at wavy.com:
Benn has claimed he acted in self-defense during the altercation with Ramon Colorado in which investigators say both men had guns and began shooting at each other.

During a jailhouse interview with WAVY.com after his August 16 arrest, Benn said Colorado jumped ahead of him in line that afternoon.

“I said ‘Excuse me, sir. I’m in line to get my blood pressure medicine.’” said Benn, explaining what he said to Colorado. “[Colorado] said, ‘I’m in line too, bro.’”

Benn said at that point, Colorado pepper-sprayed him. Both of the men reportedly had guns on them and investigators say they shot at each other. They were both injured; Colorado died and Benn was treated for non-life threatening injuries.
Watching the video, I cannot help but believe that there were many opportunities for both men to break off the encounter and avoid the gunfight that finally ensued.  It appears that after the pepper spraying, both men actively sought each other through the aisles of the store.

I was not there, and I do not know what was said.  I have not been in the jury box, so I do not know all the evidence presented.   Given only what I have seen on the video, I believe both men exhibited aggression and bad judgment. 

Maybe that is why there have been two mistrials.

 ©2015 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.
Link to Gun Watch

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With a name such as Ramon Colorado I DOUBT very much the man is a "white man" as that term "white man" generally, commonly, and ordinarily understood.

A light skinned Mexican but not a "white man". Counts for crime statistics as a "white man" but not in actuality a white man.