Saturday, October 25, 2014

FL: 500 lb Bear Shot in Home


Black bears are large, potentially dangerous animals.  A retired wildlife officer was forced to shoot one in his Florida home on 22 October, in Lake County.



The bear broke though a window and entered the home.   When the man yelled at it, it turned and came toward him.  That is when he fired, at a distance that he estimated at 10 feet.


From wftv.com:

“I was very scared. I figured when I yelled it would take off, but it didn’t. It just looked right at me and started coming toward the window, where I was at, so that’s when I fired,” Peters said.

The bear was a very large black bear, weighing 500 lbs.


When officers dragged the bear from the house, it left a large blood trail.






The area where the bear was shot was trashed.

©2014 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.
Link to Gun Watch

Update: The bear was shot with a Marlin lever action rifle, chambered in 45-70.

 

1 comment:

Wireless.Phil said...

And the game warden got the meat, saying it has to be tested.

They should offer it to the homeowner!

I say this because I had bear once and liked it.