Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Arkansas man kills intruder: "Marion County coroner Dan Duren told the Daily Times on Monday that he was called to Joe Kelley's Peel residence late Friday night, and pronounced Travis Morrison, 27, of Harrison, dead of a gunshot wound at 11:59 p.m. In a telephone interview this morning, Kelley, 71, said he was alone and asleep in his home in rural Marion County on Highway 125 about 10:30 p.m. Friday, when he was awakened by a loud noise he said he thought at first was an explosion. "I couldn't understand at first what it was," he said in an interview with the Daily Times this morning. When he realized that the noises he heard were the sound of someone kicking in his front door, he reached for the 12-gauge shotgun he always keeps by his bedside. "I've always slept with a gun by my bed," he said. "I used to be a reserve police officer, and I guess my training kicked in. I took my shotgun, and walked out of my bedroom. I saw the black silhouette of a man, just three or four feet in front of me, and I just cut loose." Kelley said the intruder was six or eight feet inside his house when he shot him.... Sheriff Carl McBee's report said that Kelley was not detained because the shooting was apparently in self-defense."

Michigan homeowner shoots burglar; three in custody: "Three Pontiac men are in custody, one hospitalized with a gunshot wound, after police said they attempted to break into a home and ran into an armed homeowner early this morning. Sgt. William Ware said police were called out to a home in the 1200 block of Cloverlawn, on the city's northeast side, about 4 a.m. on a report that three men had kicked in the rear door of a home in a home invasion. "The homeowner heard a loud bang at the rear of the home and observed three males with hoodies over their head inside," said Ware. "He told them to get out and fired twice at them." All three suspects ran from the home and the 33-year-old homeowner, who has a permit for his weapon, said he did not know if he had hit anyone, Ware said. About 15 minutes after the incident, an area hospital reported a man with a single gunshot wound to the chest had shown up in the emergency room. A 21-year-old man, who is listed in serious condition, is believed one of the three suspects in the home invasion, said Ware, who added two other men, 17 and 20 years old, were also taken into custody. A weapon police believe was carried by one of the suspects was found in the snow at the rear of the Cloverlawn home."

No comments: