Wednesday, August 17, 2016

AK: Guide Kills Attacking Grizzley with 9mm

In the last week in July, 2016, Phil Shoemaker had use a 9mm pistol to kill a grizzly that was threatening his clients and himself.  It worked.

I have been guiding brown bear hunters and fishermen and bear photographers from our homestead within Becharof National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska for 33 years and have had numerous close encounters with bears. Until now, I have never had to shoot an unwounded bear to protect either myself or clients, but the other week an event occurred and my good fortune changed. When it happened, I was fully aware of what was going on and how big the bear was. I also managed to stay aware of where my clients were, even when the bear was directly between us. The woman I was guiding said that while she did not remember smelling the bear’s breath, it was close enough to her face that it could have bitten her!

 More Here

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, that is why I like the 9mm so much. it has penetrating power well above many more powerful rounds. In my experience I have had to do research on gunshot wounds and ballistics. The Phoenix police department made a video showing them test firing everything they had in their arsenal and making comparisons. the 9mm penetrated the best of everything no matter what it was fired from. It cleanly penetrated when 44 mags would not. the 357 is extremely close in size and the 9mm it out did the 357. An arrow fired from a 50 pound pull bow is comparable to the 9mm for penetration. The primary reason most cops went to the 40 caliber is because they were shooting each other through their vest protections. A 9mm out performs the 45acp.

Anonymous said...

Lol I don't think so the 45acp is the best in power and accurate .

Anonymous said...

I don't think so about the 9mm. The best caliber is 45acp.piwerfull and accurate.

xxx said...

Nice

Anonymous said...

Cops went to .40 because they were shooting each other with 9mm? Hilarious.