Monday, September 19, 2016

Open Carry at the Grapefest Festival between Dallas and Fort Worth



My Daughter and Son in law, and two grandchildren were going to the Grapefest in Grapevine, Texas, between Dallas and Fort Worth. They graciously invited me to tag along.  Sunday afternoon, 19 September, 2016, was the time that fit with schedules and the kids naps.  The temperature was 97 in Dallas, and I could feel the humidity.

I missed my Sun Helmet.  I am heat acclimated, but the kids were not.  We had to walk a couple of blocks to the festival, and the family stopped in some shade to consider options.

I notice some sign-age that looked as if it might contain a 30.06 or a 30.07 sign.  I went to investigate.  It contained neither, but did stipulate that no weapons were allowed, except legally permitted firearms.



I went to the ticket counter.  There was one for media, so I went there.  After I handed them a Gun Watch card, they handed me a media pass for free.

I casually strolled through the gate, pass in hand.  I was openly carrying my old Glock in a Fobus retention holster.  No one seemed to mind or pay attention.  I handed my pass to the proper person, and found  a couple who were willing to take my picture.  I asked them to be sure to get the pistol in the frame.

They were very friendly and helpful.

As I wandered out, the people at the entry were searching backpacks, strollers, and purses.

I told the lady doing the searches that I was writing a story, then asked what they were looking for.  An efficient and alert looking officer with a pistol in a higher level retention rig was sitting next to her.

She told me they were looking for "big knives, mostly" and that when they found one, they checked for a permit. She said people with firearms permits could bring in guns. She said permits were checked out by the officer.

Last session, Texas came very close to removing the silly limitations on knives in the Lone Star State.  Only the unethical maneuvers of a Democrat committee chairman kept the reform from becoming law.

Everyone was very pleasant.  The festival seemed a success.  Quite a few people were going in and out, even in the heat.

My daughter and her husband had made a wise decision not to keep the children out in the extreme heat and humidity, but I was glad we came.

Open carry is becoming accepted in Texas.

©2016 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice and link are included.
Link to Gun Watch

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think these kinds of limitations place the event in serious liability. No matter where you are, no matter what time of day in the end you are responsible for your self defense. Anyone attacking people at a function always use surprise, they never attack by appointment. The open carry law is clearly flawed. Unless and until the function can guarantee my complete safety they have no authority to deny my right to self defense. I have no need to be concerned if other people do not like guns. they never demand charges against anyone that actually saves their life because they were armed. anyone not concerned with their own safety has no right to complain when others have to do the protecting. For me it goes back to Vietnam. If you are to damn high on pot to be effective stay out of my fox hole find your own. Irresponsible people will always be irresponsible until they get woke up the hard way. if they survive. open or concealed carry at least gives you a chance to defend yourself in an emergency. Until the words emergency or surprise attack are no longer needed in the English language, I will continue to carry.