Wednesday, May 28, 2014

WI:Memorial Day Open Carry at McDonalds


Much of Memorial day weekend was spent in cleaning up my parents estate, now owned by my brother.   After hauling three pickup loads of priceless antiques, or barely valuable used property, depending on your viewpoint, to the Salvation Army; my able partner, driver, and recently married nephew deserved a break.

We stopped by Micky D's for some needed refreshment.  As befits a Retired Uncle, I paid.   He is at least a fourth generation member of the American gun culture.    We know one greatgrandfather was in the U.S. Navy during the Civil War, or War Between the States, whichever you prefer. 

The Glock was openly carried in a retention holster, in a full Memorial day crowd in McDonalds.    It was Hayward, Wisconsin with the population swelled to three times that of permanent residents.   No one said anything.  No one looked cross eyed that I could tell.  To show the normalization that has occurred, I did not think anything of it until we had finished eating and were on the way out.  That is when the camera came out.

A few years ago police checked me out while I open carried in the town, but as I was pacing back and forth in front of a retail establishment, talking to no one visible, on a bluetooth earpiece, it was quite understandable.   They did their job and determined that I was not a threat, and left.  It did not hurt that if we looked past three degrees of separation, we were probably related in some way or another. 

This Memorial day, nothing.

As it should be.


©2014 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.
Link to Gun Watch

No comments: