Thursday, May 21, 2015

Judge Halts DC's Rule Requiring Justification for 2A Rights

The courts may have forced the District of Columbia to recognize its citizens' right to keep and bear arms, but the city did all it could to restrict the number of firearms. When journalist Emily Miller tried to get a gun in February, she was told she was only the 16th person the city deemed had a “good reason” to carry a handgun — probably because she was a journalist writing about the topic. On Monday, the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia ordered the city to stop enforcing the rule making citizens justify their rights, saying it violated the Second Amendment. “The District of Columbia’s arbitrary ‘good reason’/‘proper reason’ requirement … goes far beyond establishing such reasonable restrictions,” the court wrote in the ruling. “Rather, for all intents and purposes, this requirement makes it impossible for the overwhelming majority of law-abiding citizens to obtain licenses to carry handguns in public for self-defense, thereby depriving them of their Second Amendment right to bear arms.” The fight’s not over, though. The city is expected to appeal, and the issue of DC’s gun laws could end up at the Supreme Court once again.

1 comment:

Wireless.Phil said...

Notice the passenger started to get out of the car.
Tried to rob the wrong person

One dead, two wounded!

Maybe a off duty cop, 90% of the Brazilian people is off duty cops. The remaining 10% is on duty cop.